R&D Junior Software Developer in Environmental Modelling
GeoSmart Position – R&D Junior Software Developer in Environmental Modelling
Location – Shrewsbury/Remote
Salary range – £25,000 – £35,000 per year (dependent on experience)
To apply please reference GVAC042 and email Paul Ellis at email@example.com
An exciting opportunity in R&D is on offer with Geosmart, an innovative environmental information company, working on a variety of environmental data modelling and forecasting services related to flood risk and groundwater. Our products include a UK flooding from all sources model and the first national groundwater flood risk map, used to support the majority of property transactions in the UK, plus our groundwater forecasting service used by Water Companies and the national Flood Forecast Centre. We are looking for talented Programmers to support our research and development team. It would be helpful to have some knowledge in the areas of Earth Science, Mathematics, GIS or Engineering. This key role will report to the R&D Manager and contribute to our success in the modelling of environmental processes to create spatial data sets and analyse environmental risk.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Support innovation and product development including the modelling of new environmental data sets and services.
- Undertake statistical data analyses in QGIS and ESRI ArcGIS based applications.
- Development of model algorithms and coding to simulate physical processes.
- Production of technical interpretative reports on groundwater and environmental risk.
- Support commercial development plans.
- Project management of product development initiatives.
Role competencies and experience:
- Knowledge of python programming
- An appropriate computing, maths, earth science or engineering based degree, and relevant postgraduate MSc or PhD qualifications.
- Enthusiastic and willing, with a strong team player attitude.
- Good administration and organisation skills to coordinate own time.
- Experience of literature review and research.
- Experience in technical report writing.
- Strong communicator with good presentation skills.
- Previous industry experience of GIS and modelling environmental processes.
- Experience in website development.
- Experience in working with databases.
- An understanding of the product development process.
- An understanding of hydrology and hydrogeology.
- Experience in project management.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £25,000.00-£35,000.00 per year
- Company events
- Company pension
- Gym membership
- Life insurance
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Shrewsbury: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Bachelor’s (required)
- United Kingdom (required)
Work Location: In person