An exciting opportunity in R&D is on offer with Geosmart, an innovative environmental information company, working on a variety of environmental data modelling and forecasting services related to groundwater and flood risk. Our products include the first national groundwater flood risk map, used to support the majority of property transactions in the UK, plus our groundwater forecasting service used by Water Companies and the national Flood Forecast Centre. We are looking for talented Earth Scientists, Mathematicians, GIS programmers and Engineers to support our research and development team. This key role will report to the Managing Director and contribute to our success in the modelling of environmental processes to create spatial data sets and analyse environmental risk.
Role competencies and experience:
- An appropriate earth science, maths or engineering based degree, and relevant postgraduate MSc or PhD qualifications in the Earth Sciences and GIS.
- Previous industry experience of GIS and modelling environmental processes.
- Innovative approach to problem solving and use of GIS systems
- Experience of programming to analyse spatial data – knowledge of python beneficial
- An advanced understanding of hydrology and hydrogeology
- Strong communicator with good presentation skills
- Experience in technical report writing and project management.
- Experience of literature review and research
- Good administration and organisation skills to coordinate own time.
- Enthusiastic and willing, with a strong team player attitude.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Support innovation and product development including the modelling of new environmental data sets and services.
- Assessment of groundwater and surface water flood risk at both site and regional scales.
- Development and delivery of the groundwater flood forecasting service.
- Undertake statistical data analyses in QGIS and ESRI ArcGIS based applications.
- Development of model algorithms and coding to simulate physical processes.
- Production of technical interpretative reports on groundwater and environmental risk.
- Support commercial development plans.
- Project management of product development initiatives.
Please send your CV and a covering letter explaining what benefits you would bring to the company, how many years of postgraduate experience you have (if applicable), and your highest level of education completed, to firstname.lastname@example.org